West Mercia Probation Trust (WMPT) and YSS signed a unique 7 years (5 years plus a potential 2 year extension) Strategic Partnership agreement in November 2010 following a national tendering process in April that year. This is a pioneering arrangement that has already received national recognition at a ministerial level. The partnership harnesses the skills and capacity of both organisations to maximum effect, plus a wide range of other agencies from the voluntary, private and public sectors to deliver better outcomes for offenders, their families and the wider community across West Mercia aimed at reducing reoffending.
In the new partnership YSS:
- can be directly commissioned by West Mercia Probation Trust at any stage to design and deliver bespoke services for offender based work to meet local needs, including the provision of being a ready made pathfinder for the Ministry of Justice if required.
- can commission voluntary and community sector organisations to deliver services on behalf of the Trust.
- undertakes joint business development activity with the Trust and other agencies from the public, private and voluntary sector to develop key services to offenders and their families aimed at reducing reoffending.
- represents the issues of offenders and their families in a wide range of forums in the statutory and voluntary sectors across the West Mercia area.
- takes a lead on developing the capacity of the voluntary and community sector to develop services aimed at offenders and their families.
- takes a lead on the ‘service user voice’ for offenders and their families to directly inform practice, policy and commissioning.
As an example of innovation the partnership has jointly created a new Pathways project led by YSS for the most chaotic, at risk and prolific offenders and their families in West Mercia. This involves a range of YSS staff and volunteers together with seconded staff from the Trust and the direct involvement of 5 other voluntary organisations. The staff are co-located in YSS and partner agency offices across West Mercia. The project is funded through multiple funding streams and delivers supervision, support, mentoring and a wide range of interventions.
- ASHA Womens Care
- BES – Business Enterprise Support
- Hollywell Care Farm
- Redditch YMCA
- Shift Herefordshire
- Ubique Partnerships
- Willowdene Farm
- Worcester YMCA
Some of our Partners: